Friday, December 2, 2011

Christm@s Cheer. Let it come to you.

Staring wide-eyed at the first glimpse of a brightly lit Christmas tree.  Sitting by a fireplace sipping a hot drink with Christmas music drifting lazily in the background.  Making a snow angel on a fresh, quiet blanket of Christmas snow.  Yes, it's December, and Christmas is on its way.  Being the sentimental person I am, I have always loved the holiday season.  My December encompasses the annual neighborhood cookie party, my best friend's birthday as well as my own, countless rehearsals for the dance winter showcase, themed Christmas Eves with my crazy relatives, and an Italian inspired Christmas feast and mass in an elegant church on December 25th.  However, yesterday was when the first traces of Christmas spirit started to ebb their way into my being, as we dragged box after box up from the basement to begin our annual decorating.  Everyone has that one decoration they look forward to putting in that designated spot year after year.  Mine has almost no relation to Christmas.  It's a little wind-up kitchen scene, inherited by my grandmother, that plays an airy, beautiful carol as the little figures move.  The mother, with a pink dress, lace apron, and tight bun atop her head, moves back and forth as she rolls out a pie crust.  The girl, with a blue gown, rosy stained cheeks, and red hair smoothly stirs the filling.  And the details, the cat in the bucket, the tiny ingredients that adorn the shelves, and the ornate window that reflects light, make it all the more special.  Watching the figures come alive in awe, I felt the first feelings of Christmas take over my tummy and spread warmth through my veins.  It's the greatest feeling in the world.  Oh, and don't forget the words of Buddy the Elf from the movie we all know and love, Elf, "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear."  The holidays are here, cherish each and every minute.
This is the cover for the album that has my favorite Christmas piece,
 "Christmas/ Sarajevo 12/24 (Instrumental)".

No comments:

Post a Comment